Monday, December 17, 2012

Image of God

Image of God.

Rembrandt’s Return of the Prodigal Son is an oil painting from the Bergoise Baroque period. This shows a homecoming and invites the viewer into a special event between father and son. Rembrandt was so touched by the parable that he made many different versions of this painting. It was known as a very intimate painting. Many of the characters included aren’t necessarily from the parable, but additions from his earlier works. Rembdrandt can identify with both the elder son and the prodigal son, and therefore chose to show both equally important characters in this story of forgiveness.

Just as this historically was a very emotional and moving piece it still remains that for me. We have a copy of this painting in my living room. I have become very accustomed to seeing it, and just the other night ran across an analysis I had done of it in high school. It was fascinating to hear my take from sophomore year on where I stood in the picture. I think at some point or other I can identify with both sons position. I think this is a powerful story of forgiveness in both positions.

I love this second photo. The first time I saw it, I was drawn to it, there’s something incredibly comforting and welcoming about this photo. But I couldn’t ignore the sense of alarm. I think this shows the reverence we must have for our God. I think it shows the beauty of our God. I think this shows the community through which we can experience God. I think this shows that He cares for us. I think that there’s something mysterious and exuberating about this photo.
“For our God is an all consuming fire.” Hebrews 12:29

My photo is a glimpse into the current place I so often encounter God, younglife. Young life reaches out to the ‘kids that seem the farthest out from the church’. Kids encounter Jesus and the true forgiveness of the gospel through the vessel of Younglife. Often kids make cardboard testimonies to show what the Lord has done in their lives. Here I see that God is merciful, abounding in grace, and real.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
11 “No one, sir,” she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”




No comments:

Post a Comment